Friday, January 28, 2005

Lilian Friedberg Speaks Out

Lilian Friedberg, whose article on comparing the destruction of European Jewry and the genocide experienced by American Indians was the subject of American Holocaust, continues to be politically as well as historically engaged. A sampling of her work:

Worse than Watergate? Yep. Worse Yet: Worse than Hitler

The Death of Democracy in America: The Foundering Fathers and the White Roots of Peace

Note to Big Tent: You'll need one hell of a big tent to incorporate this. :-)

3 comments:

Tom said...

Yeah, I think it's safe to say the Big Tent has limits, and Dr. Friedberg is comfortably outside those limits.

Mark G. said...

Yeah, I kinda thought you might see it that way. :-)

Feel free to send anything my way that would constructively engage with anything she--or anyone else on War Historian--says. I don't mind strong opinions; I do mind the useless shouting matches and "echo chamber" stuff that characterizes a lot of political exchange these days. We live in serious times; we've got to get more serious about how we engage with the issues. I want War Historian to be a place where strong opinions can wrestle with each other. Wars of rhetoric, you might say, but done seriously, strategically, and not for entertainment value.

That post you had about It's My Party Too was a nice heads up. I'll be curious to see if they get any traction. What's your take?

Tom said...

I started thinking about my take (I can't speak for the rest of the Big Tent), and it started getting long, so I posted it at Rebunk:

http://hnn.us/blogs/entries/9904.html